Requesting Student Records

Current and former Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) students may obtain copies of their education and/or health records pursuant to the following procedures for requesting records.

In accordance with federal and state laws, the school division maintains a student’s permanent academic record – containing the student’s name, address, phone number, grades, attendance record and year of graduation or withdrawal – for 75 years. Also in accordance with federal and state laws, special education records are maintained only for five years after a student withdraws or graduates from VBCPS. Special education record contents may include: Individualized Education Program (IEP), psychological assessments, social histories, triennial evaluations, eligibility review meeting notes and any other documents related to the eligibility review process for special education services.

Current Students

Parents of students who are under 18 years of age (or eligible students) may obtain copies of education and/or health records directly from the school where their child is currently enrolled. There is a minimal fee to obtain student records. However, there is never a fee charged to obtain a copy of a student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).

Current high school students who need a copy of their high school transcript for college applications may use the division’s online service with Parchment, an academic records company. Students may request a registration code from their school counselors to register at, and the company will send an official copy of a student’s high school transcript electronically to participating institutions as requested by the student.

Former Students

Former students may submit a records request by mail or online to receive a copy of their school transcript, test scores or immunization file. A $5 fee is charged for each document copy requested.

Online Requests: Former students may submit records requests using the division’s online student records request system. Requestors will be asked to enter the name of the last VBCPS school they attended, the date of graduation or withdrawal, date of birth and additional information to authenticate their identity. Payment by credit card must be made online with the request. Upon submission, requests will be processed within 14 working days and mailed to the address provided by the requester.

Mailed Requests: Former students may request student records by submitting the school division’s Records Release Form for Former Students. If you would like a release form mailed to you, please call the Office of Student Support Services at 757-263-1980 between the hours of 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Requests will be processed within 14 working days upon receipt of a complete and signed form with payment. Payment is only by check or money order made payable to Virginia Beach City Public Schools. Records will be mailed to the address provided by the requester.

Verification Companies
Verification companies needing graduation verification for former students may request this service from the online student records request system for a $15 fee per request.

High School Diplomas
Graduates of Virginia Beach City Public Schools needing to order a duplicate or replacement high school diploma can go to You may order it through their online service or by completing this form, which you can mail to Meridian Print with a check or money order or email it with a credit card payment. You should allow at least 30 days for receipt of the replacement diploma.

GED Certificates
Persons who have taken the GED exam in Virginia Beach can request a copy of their transcript and/or certificate through one of the following methods:

Access Website:

VA Department of Education Phone:

VA Department of Education
Office of Adult Education and Literacy
P.O. Box 2120
Richmond, VA 23216-2120

Access to Student Records
Federal/State/School Division Guidelines

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords parents and students over 18 years of age (“eligible students”) certain rights with respects to the student’s education records.

School Board policies and accompanying regulations pertinent to student records include:
School Board Policies 5-31
and 5-66 and Regulations 5-31.1, 5-31.2, and 5-66.1.