The School Board of the City of Virginia Beach voted to name Dr. Donald Robertson Jr. as superintendent at its meeting Jan. 23. A native of Hampton Roads, Dr. Robertson began his career as a math teacher with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) in 1988 and progressed in leadership roles including assistant principal of Bayside High School, principal of Salem High School, chief strategy and innovation officer, chief schools officer, chief of staff and acting superintendent.
On-Time Graduation Rate
Beginning with the students who entered the ninth grade in 2004-05, Virginia began tracking individual students over the four years of a traditional high school career to determine the percentage who graduate on time. The On-Time Graduation Rate was prompted by a 2005 National Governors Association (NGA) task force report that recommended all states adopt a graduation rate to measure on-time graduation, with most students expected to earn a diploma in four years.
The Virginia On-Time Graduation Rate is calculated this way: The number of students who earned a diploma in 2008 will be divided by the number of students who entered the ninth grade for the first time in 2004-05 (plus transfers in and minus transfers out). To help our community understand the significance of the On-Time Graduation Rate, a question and answer fact sheet has been developed.
Question and Answer Fact Sheet
How many different ways does the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) calculate graduation rates?
The VDOE reports the Virginia On-Time Graduation Rate, the Graduation & Completion Index, the Virginia Federal Graduation Indicator and the Virginia Unadjusted Graduation Rate.
- New PanelWhat is different about the On-Time method of calculation versus the other ways the state calculates graduation rates?
- Why did the nation’s governors feel an on-time graduation rate was important? What are the benefits of reporting graduation rates this way?
- Why couldn’t Virginia provide the On-Time Graduation rate in the past?
- What about students who take longer than four years to graduate?
- How are students who graduate early included in the Virginia On-Time Graduation Rate?