All of Virginia Beach City Public Schools' (VBCPS) 82 testing sites are projected to earn state accreditation again for 2023-2024, following today's release of Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Standards of Learning (SOL) test scores and school quality indicators data.
The Virginia Department of Education’s (VDOE) K-12 Learning Acceleration Grants program provides funds for families to access tutoring and educational services their children need to address the impact of the pandemic on their academic progress and well-being. The funds are provided to families through an electronic payment platform to pay tutors and educational service providers for qualified expenditures and approved services provided to eligible students. For tutoring, approved services will cover core content areas (English reading/writing, mathematics, science and history/social science) and foreign languages required to meet diploma requirements. Learn more.
You can also access VBCPS tutoring resources here.
ASAP for Tutoring
Academic Support and Acceleration Program for Tutoring
Tutoring is designed to support interventions and accelerations available in both face-to-face and virtual environments. Offering extra help and support, especially in the early stages of a student’s education, can provide a path towards academic success, diminish the likelihood of behavior problems, and increase the likelihood of high school graduation. The Virginia Beach City Public Schools Academic Support and Acceleration Program will ensure that:
- All stakeholders are aware that students have 24/7 access to some form of tutoring support throughout the day, evenings, and weekends;
- Tutoring opportunities may occur virtually (synchronously or asynchronously) or face-to-face;
- Highly qualified staff are hired and trained to academically support students;
- Frequent progress monitoring ensures the effectiveness of all tutoring programs;
- Tutoring is aligned to specific skills from the Virginia Standards of Learning and the local curriculum;
- Tutoring provides both intervention and acceleration support.
The Virginia Department of Education has partnered with Graduation Alliance to provide an extra layer of support for K-12 students (and their families) to help them be their best in and out of today’s classroom.
Families who choose to participate in the program will be assigned an Academic Success Coach who will help them navigate academic and life challenges. A resource that is completely free to students.