All of Virginia Beach City Public Schools' (VBCPS) 82 testing sites are projected to earn state accreditation again for 2023-2024, following today's release of Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Standards of Learning (SOL) test scores and school quality indicators data.
Find all your course guides, handbooks, student resources and forms below.
On behalf of every staff member, welcome to Virginia Beach City Public Schools – a school division focused on ensuring every student masters the skills they need to succeed as 21st century future ready learners, workers, and citizens.
Want to Know What School Your Child Will Attend?
If you are new to the area, the School Locator/Map Center can help you find your assigned elementary, middle or high school.
- Type in a street address to locate a school
- View street index listings by school
- View maps indicating school attendance zones
- View a map of all schools
- General Resources
- Parent Canvas Support
- Parents/Guardians Forms
- Parent Portal
- College & Careers
Canvas is a Learning Management System, which is an online space for teachers to create, organize, deliver, and manage their courses. The platform also supports student-to-student and student-to-teacher communication and collaboration. Parents and guardians have the ability to access much of which is included in their children’s Canvas courses.
Below, parents and guardians will find resources to help access, navigate, and understand their access within Canvas. Please select the links below to view additional information and tips for each topic.
NOTE: While Canvas includes a grade book, it is not the official or complete VBCPS grade book. Instead, the grade book of record is available via the Grade Book tab in Parent Portal and ParentVue.
- Access Canvas
- Navigate Canvas
- Change Your Language Preference
- Manage Notifications
- Navigate Courses
- Communicate with Teachers
- Student View
- Additional Resources
Parents and guardians who have a Parent Portal / ParentVUE account connected to one or more VBCPS students are provided access to Canvas through Parent Portal or ParentVUE. Please follow the instructions linked below to log in to Canvas as a parent or guardian of a VBCPS student.
NOTE: While there is a Canvas Parent app, we recommend that families access Canvas through a browser instead of through the Parent app, as the experience through the browser is more robust.
The Global Navigation Menu is located on the left side of every page in Canvas. Global Navigation links provide quick access to frequently used Canvas features. These links provide access to all your observed courses collectively. Default links include User Account, Dashboard, Courses, Calendar, Inbox, and the Help menu. For more details, click the link below.
English is Canvas' language default, but you can choose to view the Canvas interface in another language.
Note: Instructors have the option to change the language preference for their courses. If your child is enrolled in a course where the instructor has made this change (most often for a foreign language course), the course language will override the language in your user settings.
You can receive Canvas notifications for the courses you are observing. Notifications are sent to Canvas contact methods listed in your account User Settings. Canvas includes a set of default notification settings; however, you can change the default settings by setting your own notification settings.
As an observer, you are able to view your student's courses. Depending on your student's teacher's course organization, you may not have access to certain parts of the course.
- Media Opt-Out Form
- Media Opt-Out Form – Summer
- Formulario para Optar por la Exclusión
- Formulario para Optar por la Exclusión - Verano
- Out-of-Zone Requests
- Parent Acknowledgment Form
- Shared Housing
- Student Health Forms
- Request Limited Access of Library Materials
- Senate Bill 656
- Request Prior Notification for Student Checkout of Library Materials to be Used for Instructional Purposes
What is VBCPS Parent Portal?
Parent and guardian access to important current school year information for your child’s progress available from any computer connected to the Internet – 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Types of School Information available in the Parent Portal:
- Attendance records
- Student assignments
- Missing assignments
- Notes from your child's teacher about assignments
- Standardized test scores (Example: SOL, SAT, AP, Stanford 10)
- Historic academic and enrollment dating back to the 2004-2005 school year
VBCPS Transportation Request—ParentVue & ParentVue Mobile
Transportation Registration for the 2023-2024 School Year will be available in ParentVue to parents through June 15, 2023. After that date you must contact your student’s home school to register for a VBCPS School Bus. Student(s) who are not registered for transportation by July 1, 2023 will not be assigned to a VBCPS School Bus and Bus Stop and may not have transportation available on the first day of school.
- Open ParentVue through the website or mobile app.
- Sign-in to your account then select “Student Info”.
- Next, you will select “Edit Information”.
- Under “Edit Information” select “Pick-up Transportation” value.
- Select “Drop-off Transportation” value.
- Select “Save Changes”.
Please contact your student’s home school if:
- Your student(s) need transportation to or from a daycare provider or other alternate address.
- Your student(s) require special needs transportation.
- You need help accessing the transportation information in ParentVue and registering for Transportation.
Need help or have a comment or suggestion?
Please contact 757.263.1111 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday-Friday (except holidays) or click here to create a support case.