Throughout April, the Month of the Military Child, Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) student artwork will be featured at Lynnhaven Mall. Now in its 11th year, "The Art of Being a Military Child" showcases students' artistic interpretations of what it means to be a military dependent, including deployments, transitions, patriotism, family and school. It is the culmination of a contest open to all VBCPS students to which more than 700 art entries were submitted.
School Guidance/Counseling Program FAQ
The following questions and answers are intended to serve as a parent resource for services available through your child's school counseling program. If you have a question that is not included in this list, please contact your child's guidance office.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I receive a copy of my child's transcript?
- How will my child be assigned a school counselor?
- Who should I talk to if I think my child's grade is unfair?
- I am going through a divorce. What can I do to help my child get through this?
- My family and I will soon be moving into the area. How can I assure a smooth transition into this school system for my child?
- How do I register my child for school?
- Who should I talk to if I think that my child needs extra help in school?
- How can I best communicate with teachers and school counselors so I am a partner in my child's services?
- How do I set up a parent conference with a school counselor?
- Can I request a progress report between grading periods?
- As a parent, how do I request counseling for my child?
- How can I volunteer at my child's school?
- I understand schools offer parent/student workshops. Do they vary from school to school? How are parents/students notified?
- How can I find out about scholarships and financial aid for my college-bound child?
- Who should I contact to discuss my child's schedule change?
- How can I determine if my child is meeting all graduation requirements?
- My child wishes to drop out of school against my wishes. Who should I speak with?
- How can I make arrangements to home-school my child? What is the oversight provided by Virginia Beach City Public Schools?
- If my child is interested in joining a club or becoming involved with their school, what should they do?
- How do I register my child for SAT's or ACT's?
- My child enrolled in high school is interested in continuing on to college. How can I find out about the many college options and opportunities?
- As a high school parent, how am I notified of my child's GPA and class rank?
- Does the school system offer funded testing designed to assess student interest/aptitude for certain career fields?