Great Neck and Salem Middle schools in Virginia Beach have once again received distinction as AVID National Demonstration Schools. This elite designation has been awarded to only 200 of 8,000 AVID schools in the United States and around the world. AVID National Demonstration Schools exhibit a college and career readiness culture through rigor and high expectations for all students throughout the school.
What We Do
- Teaching children to wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (the time it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" twice).
- Areas with frequent student contact will be sanitized and disinfected on a regular basis
- Custodial staff will disinfect frequent contact areas with approved solutions (e.g. desk tops, door handles etc.).
- School buses will be equipped with approved "green" solutions and disinfected on an as-needed basis.
- Cafeteria staff will continue to follow USDA guidelines for Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) Program in all food service areas and Virginia Department of Health Codes for food preparation and sanitation.
- In the case of an outbreak, specially trained custodial outbreak teams will disinfect school facilities and buses.
What You Can Do
Students and staff with symptoms of flu should stay home for at least 24 hours after they no longer have fever or do not feel feverish without using fever-reducing drugs. If flu conditions become more severe, the CDC recommends a sick person stay home for seven days. A person who is still sick after seven days should stay home until 24 hours after the symptoms have gone away. In addition, this longer period should be used in healthcare settings and in any place where a high number of high-risk people may be exposed, such as childcare facilities for children less than five years of age.
Sick people should stay at home, except to go to the doctor's office, and should avoid contact with others. Keeping people with a fever at home may reduce the number of people who get infected. Because high temperatures are linked with higher amounts of virus, people with a fever may be more contagious.