U.S. News & World Report recently ranked Kingston Elementary and Old Donation School as the No. 1 elementary and middle schools in Virginia. Old Donation School, which has students in grades two through eight and is the home of the Edward E. Brickell Academy for Advanced Academics & Arts, was also ranked as the No. 2 elementary school in the state.
All the resources published on this page, or in any article herein for information only. Information on this site is not endorsed by Virginia Beach City Public Schools and/or the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. Views expressed in any article are the views of the authors individually and do not necessarily reflect the view of Virginia Beach City Public Schools and/or the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
Professional learning topics for staff and adults
- Project Implicit. The goal of the assessment is to educate the public about hidden biases and to provide a “virtual laboratory” for collecting data online. Take a test.
- Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain, Zaretta Hammond
- Learning Opportunities for the Community – Parent Connections through Family and Community Engagement
Recommended books, articles, videos, websites and more
- 13th Annual African American Male Summit – https://youtu.be/ck2HksrBZ8Y
- Another View, Radio Series with Barbara Hamm Lee
- Anti-Defamation League: Fighting Hate with Good
- Article for Teachers' Self-Accountability for Dismantling Racial Oppression
- Article on Black Trauma and Showing Up at Work
- Beach Girls Rock! at PAHS – https://youtu.be/PeXTyOAZXCA
- Middle School Community Circle Topics
- National Museum of African American History & Culture: Talking About Race
- National Museum of African American History and Culture
- Resources for Talking About Race, Racism, and Racialized Violence
- Teaching Tolerance: Parents Guide to Preventing and Responding to Prejudice
- VBCPS Community Conversation- How to Talk About Equity, Race and Recent Events – https://youtu.be/px9Q1OamjQM
- Virginia Beach Human Rights Commission
- Virginia Beach Minority Business Council
- Virginia Center for Inclusive Communities (VCIC)
- Your Kids Aren't Too Young to Talk About Race: Resource Roundup from Pretty Good