Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) and Mid-Atlantic clean energy company Sun Tribe have announced that 67 of the district’s high school students received scholarships for dual-enrollment technical courses at Tidewater Community College (TCC) for the 2023-2024 school year.
The Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is committed to providing a clear understanding of the diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) work within Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS). Our work aligns with the division's core values and strategic plan, Compass to 2025. We strive every day to ensure that all students, staff members and families are treated equitably and respectfully and can thrive as part of the larger VBCPS community.
The DEI office works to promote inclusiveness and the removal of any barriers or obstacles that impact academic success. We not only validate the uniqueness of each and every member of our community, we affirm individuality and multiple perspectives. We honor the cultural identities and diverse perspectives of our entire school community.
- What does Diversity, Equity and Inclusion mean in VBCPS?
- What is the role of the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in VBCPS?
- How might I learn more about the Office for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion?
- What other educational institutions are engaged in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion work?
- What VBCPS guiding documents support DEI?
- How does the school division define curriculum, instruction and professional learning? Why are culturally responsive practices used to inform our curriculum, instruction, and professional learning?
- Other than professional learning provided to school staff, how might the community get involved and support DEI efforts?
- What are Culturally Responsive Practices?
- Is the Culturally Responsive Practices (CRP) training based on Critical Race Theory (CRT)?
- What is Critical Theory?
- What is Critical Race Theory?
- Are you teaching Critical Race Theory (CRT) in any of your professional development or curriculum?
- What theories are the training for Culturally Responsive Practices (CRP) based on?
- What are the objectives and goals for CRP training?
- Can you tell us more about what changes are being made to the CRP training?
- Is there any evidence of how a training like this has positively impacted other school systems?
- Who can I email or speak with to learn more about the training?