The School Board of the City of Virginia Beach voted to name Dr. Donald Robertson Jr. as superintendent at its meeting Jan. 23. A native of Hampton Roads, Dr. Robertson began his career as a math teacher with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) in 1988 and progressed in leadership roles including assistant principal of Bayside High School, principal of Salem High School, chief strategy and innovation officer, chief schools officer, chief of staff and acting superintendent.
Volunteers & Partners
Thousands of individuals serve as volunteers in our schools each year. In fact, during the 2020–2021 school year, more than 1,300 volunteers donated approximately 16,000 hours of service in VBCPS. The value of this service is estimated at more than $461,000*.
Volunteer opportunities may include:
- Serving as tutors, mentors, or guest speakers
- Providing assistance in classrooms, cafeteria, library, or main office
- Organizing student enrichment and recognition activities
- Supporting special events, athletics, school planning councils, and advisory boards
Visit Volunteer Opportunities browse volunteer opportunities by school or level and find an opportunity that fits your interests and talents. In addition:
- Parents can contact the PTA/PTSA at your child’s school to inquire about volunteer opportunities.
- Community members may complete a Request to Volunteer form to obtain assistance with placement at a school and return the completed form to the Office of Family and Community Engagement.
- Grandparents, seniors, and retirees are encouraged to review information regarding the Golden Circle Program, which recognizes volunteers age 55 and older for their service in our schools.
*Calculations based on the Independent Sector Organization's estimated hourly value of volunteer time for 2021 which is $28.54 per hour.