Throughout April, the Month of the Military Child, Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) student artwork will be featured at Lynnhaven Mall. Now in its 11th year, "The Art of Being a Military Child" showcases students' artistic interpretations of what it means to be a military dependent, including deployments, transitions, patriotism, family and school. It is the culmination of a contest open to all VBCPS students to which more than 700 art entries were submitted.
Academic Support and Acceleration Program for Tutoring
Tutoring is designed to support interventions and accelerations available in both face-to-face and virtual environments. Offering extra help and support, especially in the early stages of a student’s education, can provide a path towards academic success, diminish the likelihood of behavior problems, and increase the likelihood of high school graduation. The Virginia Beach City Public Schools Academic Support and Acceleration Program will ensure that:
- All stakeholders are aware that students have 24/7 access to some form of tutoring support throughout the day, evenings, and weekends;
- Tutoring opportunities may occur virtually (synchronously or asynchronously) or face-to-face;
- Highly qualified staff are hired and trained to academically support students;
- Frequent progress monitoring ensures the effectiveness of all tutoring programs;
- Tutoring is aligned to specific skills from the Virginia Standards of Learning and the local curriculum;
- Tutoring provides both intervention and acceleration support.
FEV Tutoring is an online virtual platform that is available 24/7 to support our students. FEV Tutoring is available for all students in 6-12 for math, science, history, and English.
The Virginia Department of Education has partnered with Graduation Alliance to provide an extra layer of support for K-12 students (and their families) to help them be their best in and out of today’s classroom.
Families who choose to participate in the program will be assigned an Academic Success Coach who will help them navigate academic and life challenges. A resource that is completely free to students.