Organizing Your Workspace
Before you start doing work...
Create a folder, on your desktop, Google Drive, or other storage location, where you can keep a copy of every assignment. Carefully review the course syllabus and instructor contact information. These items will answer the three most frequently asked questions:
- What have I done in the course?
- Where am I supposed to be in the course?
- How can I reach my teacher?
Organizing Your Time
Managing time is the greatest challenge when taking an online course. Here are some tips for making the most of your time:
- Make a schedule.
Online courses have deadlines for completing assignments and turning in work just like face-to-face classes. For most students, it is helpful to establish a daily routine to work on course requirements, and plan course tasks. Even on days when you don’t plan to work on assignments, remember to check email and News items.
- Become familiar with your teacher's schedule.
Each online instructor will post his/her telephone office hours in a News Item in your course. You may email your instructor at any time.
Maximizing Your Learning
- Assume an active role in your online learning. Participate in discussions, take opportunities to revise submissions, and study for quizzes.
- Begin working on assignments early. Leave time for unexpected interruptions or new ideas.
- Check your grades at least once a week. Consult with the teacher via email or during "telephone office hours" as needed.
Have a question about...
Repeat/Face to Face Summer School?