Elementary Schools Q-Z

Additional historical information about a school may be found on its school website. Visit the "About Us" section of a school's website to read more about its history.

Red Mill Elementary
Opening Date: 1989
First Principal: Dave Portis
Interesting Facts:

Red Mill Elementary opened in 1989. The school draws students from a mix of suburban, rural and beach front areas. Red Mill has about 700 students from K-5.

Rosemont Elementary
Opening Date: 1981
First Principal: Ronald Cowan
Interesting Facts:

Rosemont Elementary opened in September 1981 and served the Green Run area of Virginia Beach.

Rosemont Forest Elementary
Opening Date:
First Principal: John S. Kalocay
Interesting Facts:

Rosemont Forest Elementary, located adjacent to the Bellamy Plantation subdivision on Gray Friar's Chase was built on a 15- acre site acquired by the School Board in 1985. Funding for the $4.9 million school was approved in 1984. The 69,500 square foot building opened to nearly 1,050 students.

The architectural firm of Hargrove Brockwell Associates designed the building and Whitfield/Gee Construction was the general contractor.

Salem Elementary
Opening Date: 1988
First Principal: Andrew Carrington
Interesting Facts: The official mascot for Salem Elementary is the "Ram," brought to this school by the North Landing Elementary staff. Principal Andrew Carrington actually had a real ram brought to Salem Elementary for pictures one day.

Salem Elementary opened its doors in September 1988 with grades K-6. The entire faculty and staff from North Landing Elementary transferred over to open the brand new school. The enrollment was 1140 students at that time. Salem Elementary was overcrowded when it opened; therefore, the entire sixth grade was housed in the gym until portables were assembled three weeks later.

In January 1992, half of the faculty moved to the new Landstown Elementary, along with half of the students. Salem Elementary currently houses grades K-5.

Seaboard Elementary (See Princess Anne Elementary)

Seatack Elementary
Opening Date: 1952
First Principal: Emma W. Hairston
Interesting Facts: Seatack Elementary was the last all African American school in Virginia Beach City Public Schools to be completely integrated. It was integrated during the 1971-1972 school year.

There were no schools for African American children in the early 1900's. Mount Olive Baptist Church housed two classes for several years. When enrollment exceeded the capacity of the rooms, Mr. Enoch Morgan donated two rooms from a building previously utilized as a general store. Morgan and his brother, Americus, provided transportation for the students during inclement weather. Several years later, the school was moved to a three-room building along South Birdneck Road due to growing enrollment.

The three-room building is now known as the Seatack Community Center, which is one of the oldest continuous settlements in the northeast portion of Virginia Beach. The name Seatack surfaced in 1813 when the British fleet was anchored off what is now Virginia Beach and parties of sailors were sent ashore to rummage for food. The vessels set up a protective bombardment to cover the field. The Seatack area marked the farthest point inland where the great iron cannon balls fell. On one occasion, a messenger ran to tell the American soldiers that the British were attacking by sea. As a result, for many years the area was called Sea Attack. Time has corrupted "sea attack" to the present name of Seatack.

In March 1952, Great Neck, Oceana and Seatack schools were consolidated into the present Seatack Elementary. The property was purchased by funds raised by local African American parents, community leaders, and School Board funds. The new school was built in 1952 at a cost of $360,000.00 and contained a general office, a principal’s office, a library, clinic, auditorium, cafeteria and 12 classrooms. An addition of seven classrooms was completed in 1955 at a cost of $90,000.00. In 1959, an eight room addition was completed. A gymnasium was also constructed in 1968.

In March 2000, Seatack Elementary moved to their new state-of-the-art building. The new school is located on South Birdneck Road near the intersection of General Booth Blvd.

Shelton Park Elementary
Opening Date: 1954
First Principal: Margaret M. Fischer
Interesting Facts:

In 1954, Shelton Park Elementary was built on a 12-acre site donated by the Shelton family at a cost of $475,000. During the first year, Shelton Park Elementary accommodated 721 students in grades one through seven. The main wing had five classrooms equipped for kindergarten and first grade with private bathroom facilities and other standard rooms. The west wing was built in 1961, providing 11 additional classrooms.

An addition and major renovation was completed in January 2001, with a total budget of $7,359,889.

Strawbridge Elementary
Opening Date: 1991
First Principal: Olivia Dabney
Interesting Facts: A time capsule was created the first year the school opened. It was opened on the schools’ 20th anniversary in 2011.

The property for Strawbridge Elementary was acquired from Ferrell Parway Associates in 1989 for $535,000. The building opened in 1991 with a maximum capacity of 746. The 84,948 square foot building was designed by Walsh Ashe Architects, built by Forterra Corporation.

Tallwood Elementary
Opening Date: 1989
First Principal: Ralph Mizelle
Interesting Facts:

The Nathaniel Nicholas House (Tallwood) currently stands at 1676 Kempsville Road in Virginia Beach, Virginia. William Nicholas came to Kempsville in 1643. His grandson, Nathaniel Nicholas, inherited the family plantation south of Kempsville in 1746, on which he had already built the "Tallwood" house in 1740. He added 530 acres to what he had inherited, and it is said he planted one of every tree native to Virginia on his property. The house is clapboard with both ends of brick 14 inches thick. A center hall divides two large rooms downstairs. The flooring and stairway are all original pine.


Tallwood Elementary received its name from this house and opened its doors to students on Sept. 5, 1989. Many if not all of the homes of the students at Tallwood Elementary now stand on land that once was the "Tallwood" Plantation.

Thalia Elementary
Opening Date: 1956
First Principal: Phillip Meekins
Interesting Facts:

Thalia Elementary started serving the parents and children of Princess Anne County and Virginia Beach in September 1956. It was originally constructed as a twenty classroom plant and the building was expanded to thirty one classrooms in 1963.

The school was modernized for a cost of $8,603,717, and was completed in fall 2001.

Thoroughgood Elementary
Opening Date: 1958
First Principal:
Interesting Facts: Thoroughgood Elementary is located near the historic Adam Thoroughgood House(1719), which is considered to be one of the oldest standing houses in the state of Virginia. It is a National Historic Landmark

Thoroughgood Elementary is named for the city's founding colonist, Adam Thoroughgood, an indentured servant who rose to become one of Virginia's earliest burgesses and later, a member of the Governor's Council. In 1635, he was granted 5,360 acres in return for the transportation of himself, his wife and 105 persons. The school and its community are situated on part of this patent, the largest grant in Virginia until 1650. The school opened its doors in the fall of 1958. During its first year, it housed eighth graders living in the northern sector of the then Princess Anne County. The students traveled to school via boat and bus, from points extending east to Oceana and the Atlantic Ocean; they came from as far west as Ocean View, Larrymore Lawns, and Roosevelt Farms, those sections not then having been annexed by the City of Norfolk.

From 1959-1980, the school housed children in grades kindergarten through seven. In 1980, grade seven became a part of the junior high school system. The school was renovated in 1995.

Three Oaks Elementary
Opening Date: 2005
First Principal: Lisa Hannah
Interesting Facts:

Ground breaking for this new school was held on Dec. 12, 2003. The school opened in the fall of September 2005.

Trantwood Elementary
Opening Date: 1963
First Principal: Peggy Bryson
Interesting Facts:

The area surrounding Trantwood Elementary can be traced back to when the location was an Algonquin Indian burial ground. Trantwood's present site, a large tract of virgin land, was purchased in 1930 by the Trant family who started a dairy farm on the property. Later, Black Angus beef cattle was added to the farm. It remained a cattle farm until the property was sold in 1960. At this time, land was sold to the Virginia Beach School Board for construction of an elementary school.

As the area continued to develop, Trantwood Elementary was built in 1963 to serve the Great Neck Road area. In 1969, an air-conditioned annex of four classrooms and two activity rooms was added to the school. In 1987 the entire school became air-conditioned. In 1991, a gymnasium was added.

Ground breaking for the renovation and additional wings began May 22, 2002. Renovations were complete and the new building was dedicated April 14, 2005.

White Oaks Elementary
Opening Date: 1978
First Principal: Diane Cauthen
Interesting Facts:

The land on which the school was built was obtained from the Terry Corporation of Virginia, developer of the Timberlake sub-division, July 9,1976. White Oaks opened in the 1978-1979 school year, to accommodate the children of the increasing number of navy personnel moving to the community. It started with an enrollment of 301 and climbed to 969 by the end of the school year.

Williams Elementary
Opening Date: 1961
First Principal: Louvenia Archer
Interesting Facts: After Bettie F. Williams was appointed Supervisor of Negro Elementary Schools in Princess Anne County. She retired in 1961 due to poor health and in October of that year the Princess Anne County School Board named and dedicated its newest school in her honor.

Bettie F. Williams, opened in September 1961 with 26 classrooms, in Princess Anne County. The school housed pupils in grades one through six and served a large section of the county's population. It was named in honor of Mrs. Bettie Forbes Williams, one of Princess Anne County's most illustrious educators. After only two years of operation, a new wing consisting of eight classrooms and two restrooms was completed. This addition was imperative due to the arrival of seventh grade pupils from an overcrowded Union Kempsville High.

By 1962, Bettie F. Williams was no longer a predominately black school. It changed from housing grades one through seven to housing only sixth and seventh grades. Another reclassification in 1972 transformed Bettie F. Williams back to grades one through seven, but only for a brief time.

Bettie F. Williams, Newtown and Diamond Springs elementary schools form the Bayside Tri-Campus.

Bettie Forbes Williams
Bettie Forbes Williams became the second Supervisor of Negro Elementary Schools in Princess Anne County in1946. She was born in September 1900, in Princess Anne County. Her parents were farmers who grew vegetables, root crops and raised chickens. As a child, she showed the desire to help others, often giving away surplus crops to friends or neighbors in need.

After graduating from Virginia State College in Petersburg, Bettie returned home in 1922 to teach at Cross Roads School. It was a crowded little frame schoolhouse like others in the county.

Three years later she began teaching at Seatack School. By 1934, she was teaching at Union Kempsville School, located on the grounds of Union Baptist Church. In 1938, she began teaching at the new Princess Anne County Training School for black students as a history and English Instructor.

Throughout her career, Bettie F. Williams influenced and molded many lives. She gave students the knowledge and the desire to further their education and better themselves. Many local residents, both black and white, said she was never too busy to offer a hand. One of her fellow co-workers said, upon her passing on April 2, 1962, "How she has helped many! God will take care of her always."

Windsor Oaks Elementary
Opening Date: 1968
First Principal: Charles J. Kelton
Interesting Facts: The Honorable Thomas Downing, United States Congressman, gave the Dedicatory Address, Dec. 7, 1969.

Windsor Oaks Elementary opened July 1, 1968 to serve community children in grades one through seven. These children were housed in five nearby schools to await the completion of the building. Upon building completion in 1968, the school housed children from King's Grant Elementary, destroyed by a fire.

In the 1973-1974 school year, Windsor Oaks Elementary became one of four Virginia Beach schools to incorporate the 45-15 plan for year-round schooling. This pilot program, which enabled the school to adequately handle a larger enrollment, was terminated in two years. Kindergarten classes were initiated in the 1973-1974 school year.

In the 1975-1976 school year, seventh grade was removed from the school and housed in a nearby junior high school.

Windsor Woods Elementary
Opening Date: 1966
First Principal: James Helmer
Interesting Facts:

The original school building opened in 1966. The ground breaking was held for the construction of a new school, April 6, 2006, and the building dedication was held April 10, 2008.

Woodstock Elementary
Opening Date: 1957
First Principal: Jefferson Davis
Interesting Facts: The original school was a one-room building located just east of the present location of the building.

The area where Woodstock Elementary is located was once known as Herbert’s Station. Members of the Herbert family, who were Confederate Army officers during the Civil War, controlled ownership of the land until the family of Harry Davis bought part of the property.

The school opened in September 1957, housing grades one through eight in 20 classrooms. Mr. Jefferson Davis was the school's first principal. In 1959, Norfolk annexed a part of Princess Anne County served by Woodstock School. This caused a decrease in student enrollment; however rapid growth in the area created overcrowded conditions in all grades.

Ten new classrooms were added in September 1962. In 1965, the school housed grades one through seven. In September 1966, the school lost grades six and seven to Kemps Landing Intermediate School.

A ground breaking ceremony was held July 2, 2001 to begin construction of a new school and the building was dedicated Nov. 20, 2002.