Students enrolled in the school division’s Academy, Gifted or Advanced Academic Programs, and Renaissance Academy have access to the academy bus route system as a means of transportation to and from school. For your convenience, an overview of the academy bus route system is included on this page.
- Under the academy bus route system, centralized pick-up and delivery points will be established under a general guideline of locating bus stops within 1.5 miles of individual student homes. There may be, however, unique circumstances in certain areas of the city that will result in a greater distance ratio between home and pick-up point.
- This transportation delivery system presents several advantages as listed below:
- (1) Students will spend less time on school buses.
- (2) Pick-up and drop-off times can be established with more certainty.
- (3) The judicious placement of school bus stops will allow both parents and students the flexibility of choosing bus stops that can best match individual schedules.
- The academy route system will significantly reduce district-wide transportation costs, which would provide funds for the school system to start additional academies.
- Student enrollment in individual academy programs will determine the locations of the bus stops in the academy route system. Identification of the bus stops will be established after the completion of student enrollment in the academy programs.
- Academy bus stops will be posted on the school system's website prior to the start of each school year.
- For further information or to obtain answers to your questions, please contact Cris Sprouse and Chuck Blair, academy transportation supervisors, at 757.263.1545 or email@example.com.