Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, is a civil rights law that prohibits discrimination against individuals with disabilities. The statute ensures that a qualified student with a disability receives reasonable accommodations necessary for that student to access education or school related programs and activities.
Any child suspected of needing a Section 504 Plan should be referred to the Section 504 designee within the school where the child attends. The designee will then initiate the process for determining whether the student meets the qualifications under this federal law.
The Section 504 Coordinator for the Virginia Beach City Public Schools is Alveta Mitchell, Director of Guidance Services, 757.263.1980, 2512 George Mason Drive, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456, or email@example.com.
Parent/Student’s Rights Under Section 504 Of The Rehabilitation Act Of 1973
The following is a description of the rights granted by federal law to students identified as disabled under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. The intent of the law is to keep you fully informed concerning decisions about your child and to inform you of your rights if you disagree with any of these decisions.
You have the right to:
- File a grievance with the school district over an alleged violation of Section 504 regulations.
- Have an evaluation that draws on information from a variety of sources.
- Be informed of any actions to determine qualification under Section 504 and provide a plan for services.
- Examine all relevant records.
- Receive all information in the parentís/guardianís native language and primary mode of communication.
- Periodic re-determination of qualification and an assessment before any significant change in program/service modifications.
- Request an impartial hearing if there is a disagreement with the school divisionís proposed action.
- Be represented by counsel in the impartial hearing process.
- Appeal the decision of the impartial hearing officerís decision to a court of competent jurisdiction.
Contact: Director of Guidance Services and Sudent Records and the Section 504 Coordinator for Virginia Beach City Public Schools, 2512 George Mason Drive, Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456, telephone: 757.263.1980; Fax: 757.493.5437, or contact the Section 504 Coordinator at your childís school.
For additional information please contact the Section 504 Coordinator at your child's school.