A public hearing on the proposed redesign of the Virginia Beach City Public Schools' high school master schedule will be held at the Nov. 20 School Board meeting beginning at 6 p.m. in the School Board Room of the School Administration Building.
Those interested in signing up to speak should contact the clerk of the board at 757.263.1016.
The VBCPS High School Master Schedule Committee presented a proposal to the School Board at its Nov. 7 meeting to redesign the master schedule for all division high schools for the 2013-14 school year and beyond. The proposed schedule would increase the length of the high school day for students and alter the current A/B schedule. The committee developed this recommendation to address new state-mandated high school graduation requirements and to provide increased opportunities for credit recovery.
Elements of the proposed schedule include:
- The addition of 15 minutes to the high school students' daily schedule (7:20 a.m.-2:10 p.m.);
- No time added to the elementary and middle schools, however adjusted start and dismissal times to accommodate a new transportation schedule for high schools (elementary "A" 8:10 a.m.-2:40 p.m.; elementary "B"
8:40 a.m.-3:10 p.m.; middle schools 9:20 a.m.-3:50 p.m.);
- High school students taking six to eight classes with a daily lunch block;
- The addition of specific 4x4 core courses for credit recovery; and
- Increased opportunities for high school students to take electives or earn certifications.
The proposal is addressed in detail on vbschools.com, including a copy of the committee's Nov. 7 PowerPoint presentation and answers to frequently asked questions. Parents, students, staff and community members may send questions or comments regarding the proposed schedule to email@example.com or post comments and questions on the division's Facebook page www.facebook.com/VBSchools.
It is anticipated the School Board will vote on the proposed schedule at its Dec. 4 meeting. If approved, guidance counselors at the high schools would begin scheduling students using the hybrid schedule for the 2013-2014 school year.