Policies and Regulations
School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
All students are expected to wear dress appropriate to the occasion; extreme or ostentatious apparel or appearance is to be avoided. Any article of clothing or accessory which advertises alcohol, or an illegal substance, depicts lewd graphics, displays offensive or obscene language, or is gang-related is forbidden.
- Dress standards shall be set by principals.
- Students and parents are to be advised of these standards, by letter, or other appropriate means, prior to the opening of school.
- Decisions regarding the appropriateness of clothing, footwear and accessories will be made by the principal or a designee.
- Items initially deemed inappropriate may be brought to the student’s or the parent's attention for corrective action. Subsequent violations of the dress code will subject the student to suspension from school. The principal or his/her designee reserves the right to take appropriate disciplinary action with regard to any first time offense.
- Disciplinary action will be taken against any student taking part in gang-related activities that are disruptive to the school environment, which include the display of any apparel, jewelry, accessory, or tattoo, by virtue of its color, arrangement, trademark, or any other attribute, denotes membership in a gang that advocates illegal or disruptive behavior.
Adopted by School Board: October 21, 1969
Amended by School Board: August 21, 1990
Amended by School Board: July 16, 1991
Amended by School Board: April 4, 2006