Policies and Regulations
School Board of the City of Virginia Beach
BUSINESS AND NONINSTRUCTIONAL OPERATIONS
Transportation and Non-Transportation Zones
Regulations pertaining to transportation and non-transportation zones are specified below.
- Transportation Zones
- Principals will have and be familiar with a map of the school's attendance zone.
- The principal will, in conjunction with the Office of Transportation Services, identify appropriate transportation zones in which students will be provided School Board transportation to school.
- Non-Transportation Zones
- Non-transportation zones may be established within an individual school attendance zone. Maximum limits for zones in which transportation will not be provided are as follows:
- Elementary Schools-not to exceed 1.0 miles in any direction from the school; and
- Secondary Schools-not to exceed 1.5 miles in any direction from the school.
- The Director of Transportation Services, will assemble a Hazardous Investigation Team with membership from the Virginia Beach Police Department, the Virginia Beach Traffic Engineering Department, and the Office of Transportation Services to periodically review non-transportation zones.
- A request to establish, alter, or eliminate a non-transportation zone shall be submitted in writing to the Director of Transportation Services for review and recommendation by the Hazardous Investigation Team to the Director of Transportation Services.
- Students who live within an established non-transportation zone will not be transported by a school bus. Any exceptions will be approved by the Chief Operations Officer, Division Services.
Approved by Superintendent: July 16, 1991
Approved by Superintendent: April 3, 2001
Scrivener’s Amendments: May 23, 2014