Frequently Asked Questions About the Employment Application Process
How do I submit my employment application?
- All applications for employment with Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) are submitted online. Applications for employment can be submitted from any computer with Internet access (including a computer at your public library).
- For assistance with the online application contact the Department of Human Resources department at 757.263.1133 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; email firstname.lastname@example.org; TDD 757.263.1240.
What is the next step after I turn in my application?
- Applications are processed by the Department of Human Resources.
- An email acknowledging receipt of your application will be sent to you.
- A Human Resources administrator, principal, or a hiring manager may contact you for an interview.
- If you are interested in employment as a substitute, please follow the directions in the substitute guidelines link.
What is a screening interview?
- Teacher applicants will be contacted via email by the Department of Human Resources for an online screening interview. This preliminary interview for teachers will be added to your application file.
How do I get invited for an interview in person?
- Principals and hiring managers will conduct searches of the employment application database to determine candidates’ qualifications and skills.
- Based on the materials in the employment application files, principals and hiring managers will determine whom to invite for in-person interviews.
How do I know which jobs are currently available?
- VBCPS accepts applications for all positions throughout the entire year. Please monitor any posted vacancies online.
How long is my application active?
- You should login to the online system at least every 60 days for your application to remain active.
How do I notify the Department of Human Resources if I have changes on my employment application?
Applicants are encouraged to keep the Department of Human Resources informed of any changes that occur to the information submitted on their employment application by logging on and making necessary changes. This will ensure your employment application has the most current information.
How will I be notified of an employment offer?
- Principals and hiring managers forward employment recommendations to the Department of Human Resources.
- Offers are extended to applicants only from the Department of Human Resources.
- If selected for a position, a Human Resources staff member will contact you regarding your date of employment, salary, benefits, and terms and conditions of employment.
- You will be provided with a contract and other employment documents.