Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) offers a program for at-risk pre-kindergarten students that is made possible through the Virginia Preschool Initiative and the Title I grant awarded to the school division. It is a full-day program that follows the VBCPS school calendar and hours.
The pre-kindergarten program provides children with purposeful learning experiences to prepare them for a successful transition to kindergarten while also creating a strong educational foundation for life. Through implementation of a developmentally-appropriate, hands-on curriculum, students will be engaged in learning literacy and numeracy that reinforces academic and social development with a focus on phonemic awareness, language enrichment, letters/sounds, decoding and beginning reading and writing. The program develops students’ communication, collaboration and problem-solving skills and integrates technology to support learning.
When to Apply
Families interested in applying to the VBCPS pre-kindergarten program for the 2017-2018 school year should attend one of the eligibility application sessions held March through June. The flyer linked below provides the dates for upcoming citywide eligibility application sessions as well as more information about the screening process. Depending on the number of applicants and wait time, families may be asked to reschedule to a later date.
3/1/2017 to 3/28/2017 Eligibility Application Sessions Flyer – March | 2/14/2017 to 4/26/2017 Eligibility Application Sessions Flyer – April | 3/16/2017 to 5/25/2017 Eligibility Application Sessions Flyer – May | 4/26/2017 to 6/09/2017 Eligibility Application Sessions Flyer – June
How to Apply
To apply to the VBCPS pre-kindergarten program, parents/guardians must bring a completed application and various required documents to one of the school division’s scheduled eligibility application sessions. The application is available online and can also be picked up at any VBCPS elementary school. Please note, depending on the number of applicants attending the sessions and the wait time, families may be asked to come on a different date.
Parents/guardians are asked to bring the documents listed below to the eligibility application session. Items marked with an asterisks (*) are required. Failure to bring these documents to the session will result in a rescheduled screening.
- *Completed pre-kindergarten eligibility application
- *Two proofs of residence/address
- lease/mortgage agreement and
- current gas, electric or water bills or VBCPS Shared Housing form (if applicable), which requires:
- lease/mortgage (copy for file)
- driver’s license with current address (copy for file)
- utility bill (copy for file)
- notarized copy
- *Child’s certified birth certificate (original document)
- *Child’s Social Security card (original document)
- *Individualized Education Program (IEP) (if applicable) (copy for file)
- *Proof of income for all individuals contributing to the family
- 2015 W-2 forms, SSA, 1099, SSI or two recent pay check stubs
- *SNAP/TANF/WIC (if applicable)
- case worker name/phone number, case number, benefits received
- *Unemployment documentation (if applicable)
- Court ordered custody documents (if applicable) (copy for file)
- Current Physical/immunization examination report (copy for file)
Pre-kindergarten students must be 4 years old on or before September 30 and meet eligibility criteria. The program serves children who are continuously exposed to high-risk factors and situations that are likely to have an adverse impact on their social, emotional, physical and cognitive development. Risk factors considered for eligibility purposes include, but are not limited to:
- family separation
- single-parent families
- unemployment or under employment
- developmental delays
- parents not completed high school
Pre-Kindergarten Classroom Sites
The classroom sites for the 2017-18 school year will be located in the following schools:
- Arrowhead Elementary
- Bayside Elementary
- Birdneck Elementary
- College Park Elementary
- Cooke Elementary
- Diamond Springs Elementary
- Glenwood Elementary
- Holland Elementary
- Kempsville Elementary
- Luxford Elementary
- Lynnhaven Elementary
- Malibu Elementary
- Parkway Elementary
- Pembroke Meadows Elementary
- Rosemont Elementary
- Salem Elementary
- Shelton Park Elementary
- Three Oaks Elementary
- Trantwood Elementary
- White Oaks Elementary
- Windsor Woods Elementary
Transportation is provided for pre-kindergarten students who live in the attendance zone of the pre-kindergarten school sites.
With any questions regarding the VBCPS pre-kindergarten program, please contact the Department of Teaching and Learning at 757-263-1492.