Early Discoveries is a Virginia Beach City Public Schools' (VBCPS) program contracted with the YMCA of South Hampton Roads and is made possible through the Virginia Preschool Initiative. This program is designed to provide quality preschool services to at-risk four-year-old children who are not currently enrolled in a preschool program.
Who is eligible for the Early Discoveries program?
Early Discoveries serves those children who are continuously exposed to high-risk factors and situations that are likely to have an adverse impact on their social, emotional, physical, and cognitive development.
Selection to Early Discoveries is determined by specific eligibility criteria. Risk factors that are considered for eligibility purposes include, but are not limited to:
An overview of the Early Discoveries program
- Early Discoveries is offered free to all children enrolled in the program.
- Early Discoveries is only for Virginia Beach preschoolers who will be four years old on or before September 30 and meet the eligibility criteria.
- Early Discoveries is an all-day program that meets each school day from September to June of each school year.
- The staff to student ratio is 1:9. There is a maximum of 18 children in each classroom.
- Transportation from in-zone and cluster stops is provided by VBCPS.
- Parent participation is strongly encouraged.
- Breakfast and lunch are offered daily by VBCPS.
What type of learning environment is created for the Early Discoveries program?
Early Discoveries provides a developmentally-appropriate, hands-on learning environment for children through the use of the Scholastic Big Day curriculum, with "interest centers" such as:
All materials within interest centers are multi-cultural and free of gender bias. Bulletin boards, dress-up clothes, puzzles, books and music expose the children to the richness of the cultural diversity within the city.
Parent communication includes home visits by the teaching staff, family involvement specialists, oral and written communication, progress reports and parent-teacher conferences.
How can I obtain additional information about the Early Discoveries program?
For questions and information concerning enrollment, please call the Early Discoveries administrative office at 757.648.4443.
The classroom sites for the 2015-2016 school year will be:
College Park Elementary
Pembroke Meadows Elementary
Point O’View Elementary
Shelton Park Elementary
Bettie F. Williams Elementary
Windsor Oaks Elementary