Skip to main content
Quick Links

We put students first, seek growth, are open to change, do great work together and value differences.

Website Accessibility

2512 George Mason Drive • P.O. Box 6038 Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456-0038   757.263.1000 • 757.263.1240 TDD

Budget Breakdown: The Lowdown on Your School Dollars

Throughout the budget development season, anyone interested in the status of the VBCPS budget can visit this page to get the latest updates as well as any needed reference materials. For the most recent information regarding the 2015-16 budget, click on the specific section of the Budget Timeline to see a summary of actions/recommendations made so far by school administration and the School Board as well as City Council and the Virginia General Assembly.

 

piechart1 sept dec jan feb mar may

Total Budget

Virginia Beach City Public Schoolsí Total Budget for the 2014-15 fiscal year, including local, state, federal, other and one-time funds is $815,114,992. The breakdown of sources of this funding is seen below:

Operating Budget

86.2 percent of the Total Budget is the Operating Budget (categorical grants and other funds make up the rest). The Operating Budget covers five categories Ė note that the primary focus of the operating budget is instruction, which receives 76 percent of operating funds.

85 percent of the operating budget pays for personnelís salaries and benefits. The remaining 15 percent must cover the divisionís costs, including fuel for buses, utilities, instructional supplies and maintenance of facilities.

DID YOU KNOW? Virginiaís state aid to public education has been declining since the 2009 recession. FY2014 state direct aid K-12 education appropriations were $5.2 billion from the General Fund compared to $5.6 billion in FY2009. The Joint Legislative Audit Review Commissionís (JLARC) 2014 comparison of states reports that Virginia ranks 39th in state expenditures per student. In addition, federal funds have been reduced due to cuts caused by Sequestration and the loss of Impact Aid funding.


Last Modified on Friday, January 20, 2017