Virginia Beach City Public Schools’ to Career and Technical Education (CTE) courses provide skill sets and knowledge opportunities for all students, whether they are considering careers after graduation, pursuing higher education or seeking a combination of both. CTE at the middle school level offers students an exploratory experience with a growing emphasis on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) in a modular approach. High school level opportunities have a growing emphasis on STEM and include one- and two-year programs in Business and Information Technology, Engineering and Technology Education, Family and Consumer Sciences, Marketing Education and Trade and Industrial Education.
- VBCPS CTE student passed 10,404 industry credential tests in 2014-2015.
- 56,844 industry credential tests have been passed by students since 2002.
- VBCPS student mastery of Workplace Readiness Skills for the Common Wealth continues to be among the leaders in the State with 1,923 students passing this credential in 2014-2015.
- Of the students graduating in 2014-2015, 2,086 seniors were program completers for an overall pass percentage of 90.29%.
- VBCPS/CTE offered 111 different industry credential tests in 2014-2015 to students who earned 10,404 industry credentials with an overall pass rate of 81.2%
- 4,161 members of the graduating Class of 2015 earned a total of 8,576 industry credentials. This represents almost 85% of all Virginia Beach's high school graduates.
The Advanced Technology Center, located on the Virginia Beach campus of Tidewater Community College (TCC), offers high school students advanced education in one of four strands: Information Technology (IT), Telecommunications, High Performance Manufacturing and Engineering, and Marketing Education. Courses include A+ Computer Repair, Computer Network Administration, Digital Design, Internet Web Professional, Software and Game Development, Advanced Software and Game Development, Cisco Networking Academy, Telecommunications, Computer Aided Drafting and Design, Engineering Technology, Modeling and Simulation, Marine Engineering and Design, and Hotel Operations/Management. In addition, the Advanced Technology Center offers an off-site marketing program — Classroom on the Mall at Pembroke Mall.
The Virginia Beach Technical and Career Education Center, located at 2925 North Landing Road, offers 23 occupational programs that prepare students for careers in the following high-demand technical fields: Air Conditioning, Refrigeration, and Heating; Auto Body and Paint Technology; Automotive Service Technology; Carpentry (Residential); Carpentry (Finish); Construction Technology; Cosmetology; Culinary Arts; Dental Assisting; Early Childhood Education; Electricity; Electronics; Landscape Design and Management; Legal Systems Administration; Masonry; Medical Systems Administration; Outdoor Power Equipment; Plumbing and Heating; Practical Nursing; Public Safety; Television Communications and Production; Turf Management; and Welding.